HandBrake could not find VLC or your VLC is incompatible

By | 2012/04/03

If you see this message, it is because VLC since version 2.0 no longer provides the libdvdcss that decodes DVDs for HandBrake.

For a fix, install a copy of libdvdcss from videolan.org, available at this link:

-> libdvdcss.pkg

Double click and install the libdvdcss.pkg, then restart HandBrake.

16 thoughts on “HandBrake could not find VLC or your VLC is incompatible

1. Joe

Yeeeeeeeeessss! Just as I was about to lose faith in my favorite app. Thanks man!

2. Vinny

Thanks SO much. This was such an annoying prompt…and Handbrake now works as I intended it to.

3. Pingback: Homepage

4. Rich

The link isn’t working:

404 Not Found

nginx/1.2.1

Any ideas?

5. n.ada

Thanks for your instructions and links. Unfortunately, after following the instructions, I’m now getting a new error message:

“This version of HandBrake is 32 bit, VLC found but not 32 bit!”

(I used to get the error reproduced above: “HandBrake could not find VLC or your VLC is incompatible (Note: 32 bit vlc is not compatible with 64 bit HandBrake and vice-versa).

Anymore suggestions?

6. Bo

This link doesn’t work anymore. It says 404 File not Found. Is there a alternative?

7. Bravo

Thank you, just helped me rip Day of the Dead for a zombie movie night!

8. russell

the plug in didn’t work for me. PPC G4 powerbook using 10.5.8 Leopard. Need VLC 32bit PPC